Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Asylum for... Special Victorian Girls?

Quick posty before I dash off to class. I wanted to share this... this thing that I found that will interest some of you and make the rest of you pat me on the head and go "That'll do, Caitlin, that'll do," while quietly edging away from me.

So I was walking around near Spa Fields and I saw this neat gate. I went over to look at it.


Why is the gate labeled "Special Girls?"

Why is the gate next to it labeled "Girls & Infants"?

Peeking through the ornate iron gate, there was a garden inside. But the building looked kind of abandoned...

More views of the building.

Another Girls and Infants gate? What IS this thing?

More gates, more gardens.

It has a parking lot. With cars. But nobody's there! And unlike in Spa Fields, there were no helpful historical placards...

Even MORE gates and gardens.

The Schoolkeeper gate was unique- only one of those. But this thing was clearly not a school. It LOOKED like a hospital. Sort of.

Mystery solved. It's a former girls' prison/asylum thing that actually was once a school and is apparently REALLY HAUNTED and may or may not now be a theatre and concert venue.
Oh, if only I could think of somebody whose musical mythos involves an asylum for Victorian girls who went wayward...

No comments:

Post a Comment